Some people call it recreation and some call it grassroots. Whichever you prefer, it is the backbone of any soccer club and it is no different for everyone at Saint John Soccer Club. Serving players from 4-94, recreational soccer can be enjoyed year round, at any age, and at any ability level.
We think this list captures the “Why play Soccer” question really well, with #10 being the most important. If it peaks your interest, contact us or register for a one of our programs.
10 Benefits for Playing Soccer
- Helps kids stay fit and healthy: Playing soccer is great exercise that improves cardiovascular health, increases coordination, improves strength and enhances flexibility.
- Involves teamwork: Soccer players have to work together as a team in order be successful. Teamwork is a skill needed to be successful in school, work and family!
- Improves gross motor skills: This is especially important for kids that are weak in this area. It helps strengthen core muscles which allows kids to be more physically active thus more healthy!
- Boosts self-confidence and self-esteem: Playing a sport, such as soccer, helps kids gain confidence in themselves. They become more comfortable learning new things and performing in front of a crowd. Of course, scoring (or defending) a goal helps too!
- Increases social interactions: Since soccer is a team sport, it requires players to communicate through a variety of ways. Players also must learn how to work together and communicate effectively in order to be successful.
- Increases concentration and focus: Playing soccer involves a great deal of focus and attention in order to be successful. Players need to always be aware and alert throughout the game or they will miss important plays and opportunities.
- Competition creates motivation and drive: When kids are motivated and driven, they become more successful students and adults.
- Involves work ethic and responsibility: Being an athlete requires a certain level of responsibility to your team, your coaches and yourself. Playing sports also requires a good work ethic or success will not be within reach.
- Promotes cognitive development: Playing soccer helps kids enhance their visual-spatial awareness as well as problem solving skills. The fast pace of soccer makes kids think quickly and respond. This improves cognitive flexibility.
- It’s fun! It is so important for kids to LOVE the sport they play. Soccer is fun and exciting which is why it is one the most popular sport in the world!